Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Great Flood of 2012

Kids and I left the house to run a few errands before the big 4th of July holiday. We were only gone about 3 hours, when we got home Walker came in the house first as he typically does. He came running into the garage to tell me that there was water ( his voice was not panicky by any means) , I assumed one of the dogs had an accident. Lauren ran in after him to check it out, I was still getting bags out of the car. Lauren came flying out the back door with a look of PANIC on her face.  I knew something was BAD. I ran in after her to find WATER ALL OVER the place. Well let me clarify all over, 1/2 of the family room. 1/2 of the master , most of the front all, 1/3 of the dining room, all of the powder bath, all of the coat closet. So pretty much EVERYWHERE . Needless to say I lost it, several not very nice words came out of my mouth.  Walker said, " Sissy we better get out of her before Mommy's head blows off".  

The water was coming from the feeder connector tube on the toilet.  It some how burst and water was spewing everywhere. I have been married to Ken long enough to know that I needed to shut the water off from the toilet which I actually knew how to do. 

First try I was unable to get a hold of Ken. Lauren called him from her phone still no answer. I text-ed him 911 to which he called me back.  He of course was so calm and I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown.  Literally I thought I was going to lose it.. Anyway we called Service Master and the insurance company. Service Master was great , they were at our house with an hour and a half.  They had to leave 8 very large fans, 4 De-humdifiers and some other fan looking thingy in the house for 5 days. It sounded like a tornado in here.  Insurance ... well they aren't so great. We are still haggling with them over what needs to be repaired and how much money they are willing to give us. ( Example, Mrs Wheeley,  we will only replace half of your base boards.) Such a HUGE PAIN IN THE BUTT.  Anyway its going to be a long process getting all of the repairs done. Silver lining it all of this .. we will get new carpet, flooring and paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment